The Grosvenor Gallery was one of the most well-known commercial art galleries in nineteenth century London, and has been one of the most thoroughly documented and analyzed by contemporary scholars. Founded in 1877 by Sir Coutts Lindsay and his wife Blanche, the Grosvenor quickly acquired a reputation as a fashionable and more sophisticated alternative to the Royal Academy. While the Grosvenor Gallery annual exhibitions included works by a wide range of contemporary artists, the space became identified with Aestheticism and artists such as Edward Burne-Jones and James McNeill Whistler.
Address: 135-137 New Bond Street
Start Date: 1877
End Date: 1890
Sir Coutts Lindsay (1824-1913)
Blanche, Lady Lindsay (1844-1912)
J. Comyns Carr (1849-1916)
Charles Hallé (1846-1914)
An indexed list of exhibitors at the Grosvenor Gallery can be found in Christopher Newall’s The Grosvenor Gallery Exhibitions: Change and Continuity in the Victorian Art World (1995).
Exhibition catalogues: National Art Library, London
Casteras, Susan P. and Colleen Denney, eds. The Grosvenor Gallery: A Palace of Art in Victorian England. New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1996.
Denney, Colleen. At the Temple of Art: The Grosvenor Gallery, 1877-1890. Madison: Farleigh Dickinson University Press, 2000.
Newall, Christopher. The Grosvenor Gallery Exhibitions: Change and Continuity in the Victorian Art World. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 1995.