The Goupil Gallery was opened in 1857 as the London branch of the French print publishing firm of Goupil & Co. In the early years, the space was primarily a print shop, and gradually expanded the business to include paintings and drawings. With the move to 25 Bedford Street in 1875, the firm began holding regular exhibitions of European paintings and watercolours. In the late nineteenth century, the gallery exhibited the work of James McNeill Whistler, Charles Conder, and Philip Wilson Steer, and the Barbizon school painters.
Address: 25 Bedford St
Start Date: 1875
End Date: 1883
David Croal Thomson (1855-1930)
William Marchant (1868-1925)
For exhibitions, see: “Exhibitions associated with: Goupil Gallery”
Exhibition Culture in London 1878-1908, University of Glasgow
Exhibition catalogues: National Art Library, London
Fletcher, Pamela and Anne Helmreich. “Selected galleries, dealers and exhibition spaces in London, 1850-1939.” In The Rise of the Modern Art Market in London, 1850-1939. Eds. Pamela Fletcher and Anne Helmreich. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2011. 304.
Helmreich, Anne. “The Art Dealer and Taste: the Case of David Croal Thomson and the Goupil Gallery.” Visual Culture in Britain 6:2 (Autumn 2005): 31-49.
Helmreich, Anne. “The Goupil Gallery at the Intersection between London, Continent, and Empire.” In The Rise of the Modern Art Market in London, 1850-1939. Eds. Pamela Fletcher and Anne Helmreich. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2011. 65-84.