The Van Wisselingh firm of art dealers in Amsterdam [http://wisselingh.com/historie] opened a branch in London under the name the Dutch Gallery. They specialized in the work of the Barbizon and Hague school painters, but also exhibited the work of contemporary British artists, including William Rothenstein, Charles Conder and Walter Sickert. The name of the London branch was changed to E. J. Van Wisselingh’s Gallery in 1906, a change reflected in the exhibition catalogues held at the National Art Library.
Address: 14 Grafton Street [location in google maps]
Start Date: 1906
End Date: at least 1914
Previously operated as:
Dealer: E. J. Van Wisselingh
Pictures by French and Dutch Masters (1894) [NAL]
Paintings and Drawings by Walter Sickert and Bernhard Sickert (1895) [NAL]
First Exhibition of Original Wood Engraving (1898) [NAL]
First Exhibition of the Society of Medalists [1900?] [NAL]
Drawings and etchings by Alphonse Legros (1903) [NAL]
A selection of “Punch” drawings by the late Charles Keene (1903) [NAL]
Paintings by Charles Conder (1903) [NAL]
For more exhibitions, see: “Exhibitions associated with: Dutch Gallery”
Exhibition Culture in London 1878-1908, University of Glasgow
Exhibition catalogues: National Art Library
Fletcher, Pamela and Anne Helmreich. “Selected galleries, dealers and exhibition spaces in London, 1850-1939.” In The Rise of the Modern Art Market in London, 1850-1939. Eds. Pamela Fletcher and Anne Helmreich. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2011. 300-301.
Unless otherwise noted, the documentation of a gallery’s start and end dates at a location is drawn from listings in The Year’s Art.