Colnaghi’s began as a print publishing business in the late eighteenth century, and expanded into the sale of fine art over the course of the nineteenth century. During its long history, it has sold both contemporary art and Old Masters. For an overview of the Gallery’s history, see their website: http://colnaghi.co.uk/history.
Address: 13 & 14 Pall Mall East [location in google maps]
Start Date: 1825
End Date: 1912
Paul Colnaghi (1751-1833)
Dominic Charles Colnaghi (1790-1879)
Martin Henry Colnaghi (1821-1908)
James Byam Shaw
Fletcher, Pamela and Anne Helmreich. “Selected galleries, dealers and exhibition spaces in London, 1850-1939.” In The Rise of the Modern Art Market in London, 1850-1939. Eds. Pamela Fletcher and Anne Helmreich. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2011. 298-9.
Garstang, Donald, ed. Art, Commerce and Scholarship: A Window onto the Art World. Colnaghi 1760-1984. London: P. & D. Colnaghi, 1984.
Howard, Jeremey, ed. Colnaghi, established 1760. The History. London: Colnaghi, 2010. [http://www.colnaghi.co.uk/sites/default/files/cataloguehistory.pdf]
Unless otherwise noted, the documentation of a gallery’s start and end dates at a location is drawn from listings in The Year’s Art. Locations for dates outside the parameters of the map are drawn from the sources listed above.