Charles Obach worked at the Goupil Gallery in London from the early 1860s, and became branch manager in 1864. (In this capacity, he served as Vincent Van Gogh’s boss, during the artist’s stint in London.) In 1884, Obach left Goupil to start his own gallery, Obach and Co., with his partner Hans Velten. Obach retired in 1900, and that year the business was listed in The Year’s Art at 24 Haymarket. The business relocated to 168 New Bond Street in 1901. The Art Journal devoted a short article to the move, praising the new premises for being “convenient” and predicting they would “hold there own for refined and dignified decoration, and, above all, in respect of practical fitness for showing fine things adequately.” The article included a photograph of the new interior, showing a luxuriously appointed gallery space. It also noted that the inaugural exhibition of the new space was a show of French and Dutch masters of the nineteenth century, mounted in association with Messrs. Arnold and Tripp of Paris.
Address: 168 New Bond St
Start Date: 1901
End Date: 1912
For selected exhibitions, see: “Exhibitions Associated with: Obach and Co.”
Exhibition Culture in London 1878-1908, University of Glasgow
Fletcher, Pamela and Anne Helmreich. “Selected galleries, dealers and exhibition spaces in London, 1850-1939.” In The Rise of the Modern Art Market in London, 1850-1939. Eds. Pamela Fletcher and Anne Helmreich. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2011. 298-299.
“H.W.B.” “Messrs. Obach and Co.’s New Galleries in London.” Art Journal, October 1901, 317.
“Obach and Co.” http://www.exhibitionculture.arts.gla.ac.uk/gallery.php?gid=20
Exhibition Culture in London 1878-1908, University of Glasgow.
Unless otherwise noted, the documentation of a gallery’s start and end dates at a location is drawn from listings in The Year’s Art.